Pages

2013 Memories

2013 Memories

Thursday, June 8, 2017

The Reason I Own 3 Horses

One would think that by having 3 horses that I slave over that in any given circumstance I would have at least one to ride, right? Wrong... I am currently that person that has 3 horses and they are all broken 😩 Our vet showed up at the barn on Monday while I was there so I snagged them and have them check out Bentleys popped splints. My paranoia level for horse injuries is at an all time high and there is currently another horse in our barn with a fractured splint bone. So we radiographed. There didn't appear to be a fracture on either but because it was still early on he said it could be hiding. So all week I have been getting up early and doing two a days at the barn to deal with my broken ponies. 
Do they care about my declining mental state? No...!

I have been really good about icing, surpassing (thank god it's back on the market!), buting, and wrapping him twice a day. So fingers crossed it has done the job. The bumps seem smaller and in fact the smaller one is almost all the way gone. I get to call the vet tomorrow and evaluate if we can go back to work. Fingers crossed we get the green light! We are supposed to have a dressage lesson next Sunday and our first recognized event the last weekend of the month. More importantly though we are on day 4 of stall rest (with no hand walking allowed) and the hamsters are beginning to come off their wheels! This is a different situation also because he has been sound the whole time. So it's not as cut and dry about when to return to work, etc.
 
He wants to do more of this!!

Not to mention the fact that I had to send in our entry for Rebecca Farms with my currently potentially broken horse because if I didn't send it in on opening day my chances of getting in are slim. Here's to hoping for returning back to work so we can get a BN recognized under our belts before we head to Montana to go novice! 

 
The free loader enjoying his new pasture digs for the summer. Already found a friend!

 

3 comments:

  1. I too had to send in my RF entries with a broken pony. My mare is recovering from a fractured splint bone and the vet was cautiously optimistic that we'd be able to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn splint bones!! Sending good thoughts that your Pony recovers. I'm super excited for Rebecca so will be bummed if I can't take him.

      Delete
  2. Horses! Why do we do this to ourselves!?

    ReplyDelete