Pages

2013 Memories

2013 Memories

Monday, January 2, 2012

Horse jokes: story of my life

Long story short...
When I was younger (kindergarten to 8th grade) I was a complete sports freak. I played soccer, softball, basketball and rode horses. I was a natural when it came to them and often times was pulled out of my soccer games for scoring to much and averaged like 25 points in my basketball games. In 8th grade I had to make some hard choices as to what I was going to stick with and decided that horses is really where my heart was. Then between 8th grade and 9th grade I grew about 5 inches! Going into high school I was almost 6 foot. So the harassing of the basketball coaches (who I had played for before) began. Every year I would have to say "sorry I just dont have the time or way (I had no car, single mom who worked, etc) to be able to make it work". So not only was I getting heat from them but on top of that everywhere I go the standard question is "your tall (thanks captain obvious I didnt noticed my giraffe legs coming off my body...) where do you play basketball?" then I would have to say "I dont play really, I ride horses" and it all goes down hill from there!
Fast forward to senior year. I had contemplated playing for my school several times, I even tried out my sophomore year and made the team but didnt play. After the coach approached me before try outs I decided that I was going to go for it. So I did, and made the varsity team! Throughout the season I was always thrown horse jokes by both my coach and teammates, all fun and games of course! Most of them had never even ridden a horse in their lives!
Well today I changed that for one of my previous girls! She came out and rode Mystic pony. She had never ridden a horse before (she is 17 and has NEVER ridden a horse?) and although Mystic was with putting up with someone who didnt know what they were doing and me falling on the arena floor cracking up (even a fellow barn mate came into the arena and asked what was going on because she could hear us laughing in the barn!) he wasnt exactly the best teacher LOL! He was set on just following me and wasnt to keen on listening to her trying to turn him or make him go. He was just coming for me to rescue him! There were several times when I thought I might pee my pants I was laughing so hard. But we trotted him double and she now gets to go back to her team and my old coach and tell more horse stories!! They always loved telling me "This one time I rode a horse... blah blah blah" or if I didnt something wrong they would say "You might be able to do that riding your horse but not here"! I do have to say, although I do not like talking about my horses to people who have no idea about horses, they were always quite entertaining with their jokes and it was always a normal routine in practices and gave everyone a good laugh!
Annie and Mystic!

No comments:

Post a Comment