Pages

2013 Memories

2013 Memories

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Little bit of fun

Along with sending in our entry for our first beginner novice one day (YAY!!!!!!) we had a nice relaxing bridleless ride tonight! Since the expo I have done minimal amounts of it but after working a 9 and a half hour day and having it pour all day I didnt feel up to much hard work so I opted to have a little fun! He was great! I started working on backing up. He doenst do it that great under saddle (my fault... why install a backwards button when you are still working on the forward one?!) so I didnt expect much but by the end he was going 5 steps backwards without stopping or going sideways. I really did it because I was thinking about the state fair in August (our one breed show this year) and how I should take him in a western walk/jog class bride less just for experience. That way I get to see how he would do in a show ring without his bridle and I dont have to give up a class we could do well in to try it. I have no idea if it is even legal but I honestly dont care, I just want to see what he would do! Anyways, they are rail classes, therefore you have to back for the judge at the end. And so that is why I started teaching him to back.  Good reason right?! I love this horse! It is one big experiment as I have never taught a horse any of this before. Now I have two solid walk/trot/canter/whoa/turning bridleless horses going. Now to teach them more advanced moves :)

3 comments:

  1. How cool! Good idea on the western class. We are also targeting one breed show this year, there's only one that's close, and thankfully it's held in conjunction with a huge open show too. Breed shows are poorly entered for Cobs out here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes most of our breed shows are back east. They have some huge shows over there but basically nothing over here!

      Delete
  2. Ooo, you should post some tips on how you train them to go bridleless! This is on my bucket list of things to teach Simon.

    ReplyDelete