Pages

2013 Memories

2013 Memories

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Disappointed but not destroyed

I got a call from our vet this morning saying she could squeeze us in really quick today since I couldn't do tomorrow due to work. Going into the appointment I was very hopeful, thinking that we would do the injections and it would turn out to just be something little so we could go on our merry way. After all he really hasnt been that bad off. Coming out of it, however, is a different story. He tested positive to the flexsions on his left hind (which I am really proud of myself for being about to tell which leg it was! Especially for a hind leg), very positive actually. Once she put his leg down he didnt want to move at all and completely refused to trot for about 5 strides. Then when he finally did he was very off. You could tell when she was holding his leg up he kept trying to lift his whole hip up to avoid the pressure where the pain is.

We are not 100 % sure where the problem is. We do know that it is either the hock or the stifle. We could have blocked his stifle out to see if that is where it is but decided to wait. I am going to take him into OSU for a full work up and diagnosis and figured they might as well do all that there since they will be the ones helping me through the rest of this process.

Good news is that he is the normal happy and personable dude he always is! I have a feeling we will be spending lots of quality time together in the next few months. It is sounding like worst case scenario (which we never hope for of course!) he will be out for up to 6 months with potential sx. That is if he is diagnosed with this OCD.

Sad news for him is that the doctors orders him to lose more weight, especially because of the potential issues ahead of us, as it will only make it easier on his body. The hard part is going to be getting him to lose it at all, let alone with him not working!

I am very disappointed to say the least but still hold hope that the issue is much smaller then what it has potential to be. I know that between OSU and I we can get him all healed up riding again by next year. I truly will do anything it takes for this horse. Even if that mean going out in the cold winter just to hand walk him around :) Hopefully I will have better news after taking him in (will be like 2 weeks as I leave for Nashville on Sunday) and I will keep you all updated.

With all his pretty ribbons today :)

1 comment:

  1. Completely fitting title, and I can TOTALLY relate. At least we can hang out together...and maybe you can ride my boy and I will hand walk yours. :)

    ReplyDelete